Carers Australia has made a submission to the Australian Government recommending a number of actions which we hope will be incorporated into the 2015-16 Federal Budget.
Carers Australia acknowledges the Government’s clear appreciation of the vital contribution of family and friend carers and its recognition that carers both deserve and need support to sustain that contribution. However, we do have some concerns about the impact of some policy changes on carers, and ideas for improvements to carer supports.
Recommendations fall into five broad categories:
- Integrating and aligning support services for carers
- Falling between the gaps of the NDIS
- Impacts of social security reform on carers
- Assisting former carers to transition to the workforce
- Assisting currently employed carers to combine work and care