The Australian Government has introduced a Carer Gateway website and call centre as an entry point for carers to access practical information and advice, online supports, and services in their local area.
The new nationwide network of Carer Gateway service providers delivers a range of support services to unpaid carers, such as:
- In-person and phone-based counselling
- Online self-guided coaching
- Emergency and planned respite
- In-person and online peer support
- Online skills courses
- Financial packages focused on employment, education, respite and transport
It also provides information, practical advice, and resources on a range of topics, including:
- Information on the types of care and stages of caring
- Advice on how to look after yourself while caring for someone
- Information on respite care
- Managing day-to-day care
- Legal and financial support considerations
- What to do in an emergency or crisis situation
- Help on combining caring with work or study
- Assistance with navigating local services including the National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS), My Aged Care, and palliative care.
Contact the Carer Gateway
Call 1800 422 737 Monday to Friday between 8am and 5pm.
Visit the Carer Gateway
To access online supports, practical advice, and connect with local carer services, visit the Carer Gateway.