The Carer Gateway has an Emergency Care Plan Document that can help ensure that the person you care for is looked after if you are unable to care.
The Emergency Plan includes
- Name and contact details for you and person you care for
- Next of kin information for you and the person you care for
- Name and contact details of a back-up carer
- Name and details of GP, specialists and allied health professionals (pharmacy, physio, care team, dentist)
- List of medical conditions, including allergies and implants (such as cochlear implants or pacemakers)
- List of medications and information on where they are stored
- List any communication or mobility issues (e.g. deaf, non-verbal, frail, assistive technology and equipment)
- List of daily care plan (e.g. medication times, showering, feeding, toileting, activities such as favourite TV show or game)
- Important info about home of person – e.g. where house keys are, heating, pets, fuse box, location of medication.
If you and the person you care for have a My Health Record make sure it is up-to-date, including the addition of any Advance Care Plan and Power of Attorney.