Information, Linkages and Capacity Building in communities
The NDIA released the ILC commissioning framework in November 2016 which explains the following;
The NDIS is made up of two parts:
- Individual NDIS funded plans, and
- Information, Linkages and capacity building (ILC)
What is ILC
ILC within the NDIS aims to provide Information, linkages, and referrals to connect people with disability, their families, and carers, to appropriate disability, community, and mainstream supports. ILC will also establish and facilitate capacity building supports for people with disability, their family, and carers which are not directly linked to a person’s individual NDIS funded package.
ILC is an important part to the long-term success of the NDIS, designed to build the capacity of the community, people with disability, their families, and carers, with the view to reduce the need for funded supports over time.
Goals for ILC
- People with Disability have the ability to achieve their goals through building capability.
- People with disability are included in all aspects of community life through being provided the opportunity to do so.
Activity Areas to be funded by the NDIA and the objectives
Five ILC Policy activity areas: (Activities 1-4 listed, support and strengthen the Local Area Coordinator role)
Activity 1 (Capability): Information, linkages and referral – Ensuring that people with disability and their families and carers are informed with up-to-date, relevant and quality information, and they are connected to services and supports within their community which meet their needs.
Activity 2 (Opportunity): Capacity building for mainstream services – Ensuring that mainstream services (example; education, transport, and health) have the information and skills they need to meet the needs of people with disability.
Activity 3 (Opportunity): Community awareness and capacity building – Community programs and providers have the information and skills they need to meet the needs of people with disability.
Activity 4 (Capability): Individual capacity building - People with disability have the skills and confidence they need to participate in and contribute to, their community.
Activity 5: Local Area Coordination (LAC’s) will;
- Work directly with people who have an NDIS plan to connect them to mainstream services and community activities and move their plan into action.
- Provide short term assistance to people who do not have an NDIS plan to connect them to mainstream services and community activities.
- Work with their local community to make it more accessible and inclusive for people with disability.
ILC Proposed Roll-out
1 July 2017 ACT
1 July 2018 SA & NSW
1 July 2019 VIC, QLD, TAS & NT
Independent ILC process WA
Please see below links to further understand - Information, linkages and capacity building, and the NDIS's position regarding continuity of supports.